The CBD products we make at Good Soul only use CBD that’s been extracted from premium, organically grown hemp farmed in the U.S. But what does this mean and why is organically grown hemp important?
What is hemp
Hemp, or industrial hemp, is a variety of the Cannabis Sativa plant that’s typically found in the Northern hemisphere. It grows very quickly and is planted specifically so its products can be used for industrial purposes.
Hemp has naturally high levels of CBD and low levels of THC, which means there’s no psychoactive effect should it be consumed.
What is organically grown hemp?
Organic farming is a holistic system designed to promote sustainable practices that work with nature rather than against it.
For hemp to be classified as organic it must be cultivated using organic farming practices.
- Soil Fertility – "Crops more easily resist disease, survive drought, and tolerate insects when grown in good soil."
- Seeds and Planting Stock – "Organic crop producers use organic seeds and planting stocks to protect the integrity of their crops."
- Crop Rotation – "Organic crop producers practice crop rotation (rotating the crops they grow in a field or planting bed over time) to interrupt insect life cycles, suppress soilborne plant diseases, prevent soil erosion, build organic matter, fix nitrogen, and increase farm biodiversity."
- Managing Pest, Weeds, and Disease – "Pest management on organic farms relies on the 'PAMS' strategy: prevention, avoidance, monitoring, and suppression."
- Maintaining Identity and Integrity of Organic Crops – "Organic crop producers are responsible for preventing contact between organic and conventionally-grown crops, as well as contact with prohibited pesticides or fertilisers."
How organically grown hemp benefits the environment
Growing hemp organically is safe to the environment and promotes sustainable farming practices that improve the soil for future farming.
Hemp is well known for being one of a few crops that doesn’t require any pesticides for it to survive as it’s naturally resistant to most pests. But often hemp that is grown without following organic practices will be treated with fertiliser at the begging of the growth cycle. This often leads to nasty chemicals ending up in the soil and water supplies.
How organically grown hemp benefits the consumer
Choosing to consume organic hemp benefits your body too. Organic products are widely regarded as being healthier for the body as they haven’t been exposed, treated or modified by any foreign chemicals.
Hemp is a natural plant and organic farming practices ensure that it’s grown in good, clean soil that’s free from toxins. This means that when the hemp grows it doesn’t absorb anything bad from the soil. This results in an end product that when consumed is 100% green goodness that hasn’t been contaminated with anything unnatural.